Tuesday 2 February 2010

What is Kale?

Ah, Kale. If you're already a regular blog reader of Food and/or health sites, you've probably seen recipes with this and read about the many wonderful qualities of this vegetable. But how many have actually seen this mysterious Kale? Certainly, the pictures does not show anything that I've seen in the markets. So I hit good, ol' Google in search of an answer.

So back to the question, What is Kale? Is it known as something else here? Well, it seems that it's part of the cabbage family and very similar to Collard Greens. Apparently it's also called Borecole. (For more information, I suggest you go to the Kale wiki page.)

Not that the above information has helped me find Kale. The word on the interweb is that sometimes they can be found and the greengrocers, possibly as a special order if you ask nicely.

Either way, right now it's supposed to be planting season. Maybe someone can grow me some instead?

So what made me go on this Kale hunt? Well, Kale chips (via fitsugar.com)!

I'm always on a lookout for a nice, crunchy replacement for chips. No matter, how fit and healthy I get, I still drool when I think about chips. Or I could experiment. Anyone know if I can buy Collard Greens in Oz?

For further, related reading, try this link to about specialty vegetables in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment