Saturday 26 October 2013

To go Graduation Day or not to go?

I am now only two exams away from finishing my JD degree! The three years have been crazy, as you can tell if you consider the fact that I put together a blog about my journey and then almost never posted!

So the question now is whether to attend the actual graduation ceremony. I am just so disinterested in the idea. I don't see how sitting through one is any better than having the piece of paper in my hand without all that. The biggest one is, for my parents, but they've not shown much interest in it and my Mum did not sound at all upset when I said I didn't want to go.

A metaphor for me: a duck looking into the big, dark lake.
When I think about it, the really proud moment isn't this day, but the one where I am admitted to practice. The day where I put on a black robe and a silly wig at the Supreme Court, that's the one when I will feel like I've achieved something and reached a goal to be proud of.

So unless my parents say something or someone else comes up with a compelling personal reason to attend, I cannot summon any desire to attend the graduation ceremony. It's not that I don't care, but it's the paper I care about. I cared enough about having my full name appear on it that I went to the student centre yesterday, just to show my passport and submit my paperwork, in order to add my middle name to my enrolment details.


No comments:

Post a Comment