Sunday 19 January 2014

The Day You Truly Realise Your Parents are Mortals

The day you realise that your parents are mortal, are getting older and will not be around forever. It was quite a shock to the system. It started out with probably heatstroke, and ended up with a neurosurgeon and the ICU. The hardest moment was post-op when I finally heard from a doctor, that it was an aneurysm (my Mum had been with him and the translation wasn't completely clear to me) and I learned what odds he has already beaten.

My Dad had us all terrified for a couple of nights, but he seems to have been very lucky. He can wriggle his limbs and talk and keeps worrying about work.  His short-term memory seems a bit fuzzy as he keeps asking about what happened after he passed out on Thursday. He has no memory of being actually awake in Emergency or being told he needed to have an operation.

As an aside, why do surgeons always come across as a little arrogant? Like, yes, I am not a clinician, but I am actually not an idiot, you don't need to repeat the same analogy three times for me to understand. I am perfectly capable following.


No comments:

Post a Comment